Lest you think that our home renovation has stalled, I want to assure you plenty of work has been happening over at our new digs!!
The first wave of renovation focuses on the first floor, including a complete redo of the kitchen, two downstairs half baths, laundry, family, and mud room. Once these spaces are finished we’ll be headed upstairs to tackle the full bath, and then onto the bedrooms.
Let’s start with the kitchen!!
Two weeks ago I shared that our kitchen was gutted! Yay! That means progress.
I also shared some design plans for where the kitchen is headed.
New wiring was put in. So, in addition to the over sink light we now have wiring for 2 lights over the island and 6 new can lights. The whole room has new drywall and a new entry door has been added to allow lots of light flow from the enclosed porch.
It’s crazy how much brighter the space is with all the additional lighting and fresh drywall!
Yesterday the wallpaper was removed from around the pantry and the pantry has started receiving its face lift in the form of removing the nasty old shelves and hanging some new drywall. We plan on replacing the shelves and having a mini counter spanning the back wall to hold the microwave and function as a small work surface. The wood shuttered doors will be put back in place once the interior is finished.
The family room ceiling was torn out, all of the drywall has been replaced and new can lights were added in two rows down the length of the room. As you can see we will also be placing a new glass door in between the family room and enclosed porch since there are no windows on the left side of the room.
The french doors from the living room were removed and brought in to create a nice wide and bright opening between the family room and mudroom. Do you sense a pattern here?! Add light however we can!!
Continuing the theme into the mudroom we replaced the door with one that, you guessed it, lets in light! The dry kindling (aka barn wood) was removed from the lower half of the walls and new drywall was put up in its place.
We had a slew of original 1910 windows with rotting wood and peeling lead paint. Twenty-two windows to be exact were replaced with fresh new 6 over 6 windows!!
They look awesome!!
I’m so happy with the progress we’ve made so far. We even made a trip to Ikea to pick up the kitchen and downstairs bathroom sinks. Those baths are so tiny I’m sure they’ll be fairly fast jobs to complete. I’m excited to share how we plan on taking the tiny and modern bathroom sinks and use them in a way that hopefully looks anything but. Stay tuned! More updates to come.
If you want to refer back, here’s the link for the first floor before tour with complete list of projects to be completed. I’ve been crossing off projects as they’re completed so it’s easy to see how much progress has been made at a glance.